The thumb rest can cause pain and discomfort. The relocation of the thumb rest or an additional support plate could be the solution you need. We also offer a wide range of thumb rests.
1. Plastic: They were not adjustable, black and used at the student B 12 as well as the top professional Elite clarinet (because of the light weight).
2. Galvanized plastic: They were adjustable and used at newer B12 clarinets.
3. Metal: Most others are made of casted, galvanized metal.
They are distinguished by their function
1. Fixed: They are very cheap and stable. They often can cause problems for your hand position. We can move the thumb rest to a better position if desired.
2. Adjustable: They are adjustable for the musician, but in most cases only downwards. We usually recommend to move the mounting unit 12mm higher up, to get a better hand position.
3. With ring: Some hand rests have rings attached to them, to have a possibility to play with a strap.
4. With additional support: There are some rather expensive and elaborated hand rests on the market, which can help to reduce some hand stress by enlarging the supported surface of the hand.