The thumb rest can cause pain and discomfort. The relocation of the thumb rest or an additional support plate could be the solution you need. If you like to play with a neck or shoulder strap, you can use a leather adapter to connect to the thumb rest, in case you lack a ring. We also offer a wide range of thumb rests. (We have more to choose from)
1. Plastic: They were not adjustable, black, and used at the student B 12 as well as the top professional Elite clarinet (because of the lightweight).
2. Galvanized plastic: They were adjustable and used at newer B12 clarinets, Premium, Prodige, and others.
Buffet thumbrest for B 12
3. Metal: Most others are made of casted, silverplated metal.
Thumbrest are also available with different functionalities:
1. Fixed: They are very cheap and stable. They often can cause problems for your hand position. We can move the thumb rest to a better position if desired.
2. Adjustable: They are adjustable for the musician, but in most cases only downwards. We usually recommend to move the mounting unit 12mm higher up, to get a better hand position.
3. With ring: Some hand rests have rings attached to them, to have a possibility to play with a strap.
4. With additional support: There are some rather expensive and elaborated hand rests on the market, which can help to reduce some hand stress by enlarging the supported surface of the hand.